Accelerator Physics Center Mission
Carry out research and development to keep Fermilab at the forefront of accelerator science, technology and facility operation in support of the Laboratory's high-energy physics research mission.
Accelerator Physics Center Vision
Our vision is to secure Fermilab's leadership in neutrino science with
particle accelerators and in the development of particle colliders and their
use for scientific discovery by:
- conducting accelerator R&D aimed at next-generation and beyond accelerator facilities
- providing accelerator physics support for existing operational programs and the evolution thereof
- training accelerator scientists and engineers
- establishing the necessary experimental programs for a broad range of accelerator R&D that can be accessed by both Fermilab staff and the world HEP community
APC activities are closely aligned with the major recommendations of the 2015 HEPAP Accelerator Research and Development Subpanel report with particular focus on "...construct the IOTA ring, and conduct experimental studies of high-current beam dynamics in integrable non-linear focusing systems" (Recommendation #2), "...support a collaborative framework among laboratories and universities that assures sufficient support in beam simulations and in beam instrumentation to address beam and particle stability including strong space charge forces" (Recommendation #3), and "...continue accelerator and beam physics activities and beam instrumentation and control R&D aimed at developing the acclerators defined in the [P5] Next Steps and the Further Future Goals." (Recommendation #14).
News and Events
July 2018 APC Highlights
- Congratulations to Matt Andorf who received his PhD in Beam Physics from NIU.
- Hieu Le (Lee Teng Intern) has been awarded the Bill Barletta Scholarship. Congratulations Hieu!
May 2018 APC Highlights
- AD PhD student Alexei Halavanau has successfully defended his PhD thesis. Congratulations Alexei!
- AD PhD student Alexey Kochemirovskiy has successfully defended his PhD thesis. Congratulations Dr. Kochemirovskiy! Good luck in your new career.
March 2018 APC Highlights
February 2018 APC Highlights
- Tanaji Sen receives Technology Award (BBSIM (Beam-Beam Simulation). Congratulations Tanaji!
- Vladimir Shiltsev receives APS Outstanding Referee Award, diploma and pin. Congratulations Vladimir!
- Sergey Antipov wins Outstanding Thesis Award for work done at Fermilab. Congratulations Sergey!
November 2017 APC Highlights
October 2017 APC Highlights
- Al Moretti retires after 55 years. Congratulations Al!
- 150 MeV electron beam attained at FAST!
- APC research published in PRL and selected by PhysOrg and PhysBuzz and Fermilab News. Congratulations!
- Congratulations to Alexei Burov for his election to the APS Fellows!
April 2017 APC Highlights
- Jeff Eldred and Charles Thangaraj received R&R awards for teaching the USPAS classes - Congratulations!
February 2017 APC Highlights
- Congratulations to Arden Warner who received the Barbados Golden Jubilee Award on Jan. 11 at Barbados government headquarters."
- Congrats to Sergey Antipov who received his PhD from University of Chicago.
November 2016 APC Highlights
- Vladimir Shiltsev awarded George Gamow Award On Nov. 6, by the Russian-American Scientists Association (RASA)
September 2016 APC Highlights
July 2016 APC Highlights
- Congratulations to Daniel Bowring and Charles Thangaraj for being the first team from Fermilab to receive funding for the DOE Lab-Corps program.
June 2016 APC Highlights
May 2016 APC Highlights
February 2016 APC Highlights
- Congratulations to Nikolai Mokhov who was recognized and awarded for his MARS15 Software Record of Invention at the Fermilab Inventor Recognition Ceremony held Feb 16 at the IARC Lecture Hall.
January 2016 APC Highlights
- Vladimir Shiltsev is elected to Chair line of the APS DPB.
- Bob Zwaska heads the Fermilab Accelerator Physics PhD Committee
- Last modified
- email Fermilab